I regard it as the foremost task of education to insure the survival of these qualities:  an enterprising curiosity, an undefeatable spirit, tenacity in pursuit, readiness for sensible self denial, and above all, compassion.
- Kurt Hahn
founder, Outward Bound

Sunday, September 28, 2008

An Ally at Last

Well, it seems that my talking has paid off.  You know, I am passionate about this school and I share it with EVERYONE I talk with.  I was talking with the parents around Kobi's soccer practice a few weeks ago, telling them about what I was trying to do.  Nobody seemed particularly interested.

Then last week, one of the moms asked me if I was serious about the school.  I told her that I was and she told me that one of the parents on her husband's soccer team (he coaches little ones too) was very interested in working with me on the school.  She has a background in administration and has worked in several schools.  From them, I got her contact information and gave her a call.

I explained all about EL and why I feel it is a great way to teach.  She agreed and was excited to do some of her own research.  We talked about accountability to the state and how to approach the school district.  We talked about how we both feel that parents will embrace the idea of an option outside of the regular public school system that doesn't cost them anything.

She seems very interested in helping.  And she even volunteered her husband (although we'll see if he wants to help).  She suggested looking into the Perris School Disctrict instead of the Menifee School District, mainly based on the socio-economic group.  She volunteers for a childcare resource system in Riverside County and has taken a few grant-writing classes.  She said that one thing she learned was that zip code matters.  If we can find a place that balances between the Menifee/Quail Valley population but houses in a Perris zip code, we may qualify for more funding.

She also has several contacts in the area.  She said that she would work on calling a couple of people to find us a place for an initial community forum meeting.  I told her that my goal is to get this meeting done before the end of October (to beat the holiday business) and she thought she could find us a place to use before then.

WOOHOO!!!  One ally down...a bazillion to go!

No comments: