I regard it as the foremost task of education to insure the survival of these qualities:  an enterprising curiosity, an undefeatable spirit, tenacity in pursuit, readiness for sensible self denial, and above all, compassion.
- Kurt Hahn
founder, Outward Bound

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Qualifications for Starting a Charter

It was asked of me...what are my qualifications for starting a charter school.  Well, I am a teacher and have had experience teaching in an EL school.  I've taught in the public school system for 10 years in grades K-9th.  I hold a Bachelor of the Arts from Scripps College and a Masters of the Arts in Teaching from Pacific University.  I have been a statewide scorer for Math and Writing tests.  I have excelled in the classroom and often found myself undertaking semi-administrative positions within the schools that I have taught at.

But those things are not really why I feel qualified to start this charter school.  Honestly, starting the school begins with a desire to add choice to the public school community.  I have a passion for expeditionary learning and I want to promote it.  I have a good solid understanding of the ins and outs of EL, what it looks like in a classroom, how it works with students and teachers, and what outcomes are possible.  As for HOW to build a school, I am learning as I go.

I see myself as the seed.  I am working on creating a team that will be able to help this school grow into something spectacular.  I am going to search out those professionals with experience in the areas of business, administration, curriculum development, professional development, personnel, real estate...My goal is to gather a group of people who do have the credentials and the qualifications.

No comments: