I regard it as the foremost task of education to insure the survival of these qualities:  an enterprising curiosity, an undefeatable spirit, tenacity in pursuit, readiness for sensible self denial, and above all, compassion.
- Kurt Hahn
founder, Outward Bound

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Support from ELS

I was so excited to talk with the California Regional Director from EL Schools yesterday.  He and I chatted about my plans and he gave me some excellent suggestions.  But the most important thing is, he feels that ELS would like to work with our charter and is behind it 100%!  That vote of confidence means a lot.  He has school designers living  in the LA area who are ready to work with our charter school to build curriculum and professional development.  How awesome to have those supports in place before we even have the charter.

I have looked into joining the California Charter School Association (a suggestion from ELS), but the fee is $1500 and I just can't afford it at the moment.  I'll look into some fund-raising for it.  The support system that they offer looks like it would greatly improve our proposal.  I'm sure that we'll find a way to get involved.

Another suggestion that ELS made was to work on building our team.  This is a goal that I have had from the start and I guess I am not using enough channels to get it done.  Jason suggested that I write an article about what I am trying to do and submit it to the local papers.  He said that highlighting the fact that everyone is talking about the challenges of public schools today but that nobody is doing anything to change it.  Play on the elections and how I, just a stay-at-home mother of three who can barely pay the bills,  am doing something about it.  He thinks it might draw support and I agree.

No comments: